Translate

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

The Prodigal Son, Revised Version

Forwaded by  Gitanjali Sudhir <gitanjali1974@gmail.com>

Matthew Boudway
November 3, 2014
United States


Now the older son had been out in the field and, on his way back, as he neared the house, he heard the sound of music and dancing. He called one of the servants and asked what this might mean. The servant said to him, “Your brother has returned and your father has slaughtered the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.”


He became angry, and when he refused to enter the house, his father came out and pleaded with him. He said to his father in reply, “Look, all these years I served you and not once did I disobey your orders; yet you never gave me even a young goat to feast on with my friends. But when your son returns who swallowed up your property with prostitutes, for him you slaughter the fattened calf. Aren’t you worried that if you treat him so well after the way he’s behaved, I might decide to leave? And where would you be then? I’m the only one who keeps this place running." 


And the father said, “My son, you have a point. I hadn’t considered your position. You’ve been loyal and steadfast. You've always done your duty. And no one can deny you lead an exemplary and objectively well-ordered life. As far as I know, you've never spent a denarius on prostitutes. In fact, you conspicuously shun them. Let me think this over.”



Then, having thought it over, he returned to his younger son and said, “Ahem. Listen, I’m afraid I may have overdone it earlier. It’s true I’ve missed you, and seeing you again after such a long absence got me worked up. I’d like to help you out, I really would, but my hands are tied. It would be unjust, unmerciful even, for me to pretend that your current situation isn’t a complete contradiction of everything I tried to teach you. And what would the neighbors think? They might imagine I approve of prostitution and improvidence. Even your brother might get the wrong idea. No, I can't afford a misunderstanding like that. It would ruin everything. Why don't you come back after you’ve recovered the money you wasted. Then we’ll talk. Until then, your brother and I wish you luck. We’ll be with you in spirit.”

1 comment:

  1. P.C.Joseph (Chennai) writes : Prodigal Son and the ‘Holy’ son. People, priests and pastors condemn the prodigal son and glorify the ‘Father’ and make the elder son a role model.

    Is it what Jesus Christ had in his mind, while narrating the parable? Father in the story clearly said , “Your brother was dead. Now he has come back.”
    Who will not feel sad, when a son, brother, spouse or a friend die? Who will not rejoice when a person who was supposed to be dead, comes back alive?
    From the pulpit they tell that we are the prodigal son the sinner. They say that God the benevolent Father forgive our sin and will take back. The elder son is justified for his anger.

    Is not the elder son jealous and greedy? Why did not he correct his younger brother? Are we not like the elder son who condemns our brothers- the losers? Have you seen the contempt on the face of the ‘Holy sons’ when they throw a coin in the begging bowl of the sinner?

    The ‘Father’ too must feel guilty for not bringing up his younger son. Why did he did not study his son and his loose life? Why did he give the share to his son to without ant control?

    We should feel ashamed of the Reverent theology doctors, Blessed beatitudes His graces and petty pastors, for misinterpreting the words of Jesus Christ, to suite their aim.

    ReplyDelete